Monday, January 9, 2012

Weekending - basketball style

I. Love. Basketball.  I love playing it.  I love watching it.  I love seeing little kids playing it.  I love the sounds of dribbling balls and swooshing nets and squeaky shoes on the gym floor.  I love the smell of new gym shoes and leather basketballs.  Not so in love with the other smells though.  Love.  It.

So with the looming NBA lockout, it seemed like a great year to get season tickets to U of U men's basketball, so that I could get my 'fix'.  Yes, they're slated to come in last in the PAC-12.  Yes, they started out the season a little on the rough side.  Yes, they got a new coach who drove some experienced players out.  But... they have improved a ton so far this season.  A ton.  They don't get blown out as often as you'd think.  And they really do play well at times - even for long stretches at times. 

It was quite exciting, then, last Thursday night when the Utes not only came from behind to win over Washington State, they won it in overtime!  What a crowd!  What a game!  What great plays down the stretch!  What great interesting thoughtful pointless commentary from the men sitting behind us!  Woo!  Go Utes!

Friday night, our neighbor to the south, Andy, gave us tickets for the Jazz game against Memphis.  Another team that started out rough, but are looking like they've found their groove.  They won as well, and in great fashion.

Back to the Hill for Saturday's Utah game against Washington.  This game was very back-and-forth, with a few lead changes, but mostly with Utah behind and then sneaking up, and getting behind and sneaking back up.  Well, they almost sneaked themselves into a win, but came up short.  Still, a good game played by a team that is improving game at a time.

Yup.  A good weekend had by all.

Gotta love it, baby!

1 comment:

Rochelle Brunson said...

Gotta love it baby! Ha ha! That brings me back!