Bells on Temple Square

A great show, as usual. The bell ringers get better every year, with new technique and new songs. This concert was before Thanksgiving, and was a good one to get you in the mood for the Holidays. It was in the Tabernacle, and I got to enjoy it with Holly, Mom, and JoAnne.
Ryan Shupe & the Rubber Band

This was only the second time that I've ever paid to see Ryan Shupe, which is saying something, since I've seen him at so many different events! It was well worth paying to see them for this show! They performed most of the songs on their Christmas album, and altered a few of their regulars to fit in - "Ho! Ho! Ho!", "Eggnog, Eggnog, it is so good to me...", and "The Grinch went down to Georgia." The band gave one another presents, and had cute videos to go along with each. They also played Rock Band. You'd think they'd be better than they were - they didn't play so hot! They always put on a great show! I went with Mom and JoAnne to the McKay Events Center in Orem.
Mormon Tabernacle Choir & Orchestra on Temple Square Christmas Concert

My friend Melani had an extra ticket for Friday's show and invited me to come - Thanks, Mel! On the way home from the show, I was texting my mom who told me Holly's friend had given her tickets for Sunday, and was it worth going again? Yes! So I got to go twice! It was amazing! The guest soloist, Brian Stokes Mitchell, was wonderful. Such a versatile and mellow voice. The narration was given by Edward Hermann. He told the story behind Henry Wadsworth Longfellow's "Christmas Bells" poem, and with the story and the music, was quite moving. I also especially loved the organist's (I can't remember which one it was) version of "Go Tell it on the Mountain" - done nearly entirely with the foot pedals. (I had a difficult time playing one or two notes with a hymn, let alone playing a whole song when I was playing organ!) This will definitely be a show worth getting next year.
2 comments:
I miss Utah for that reason...Christmas concerts at affordable prices or free! You just don't get that around here! Enjoy it!
I am checking!!! but nothing is new, and commenting!!! (did google tell you???)
Post a Comment