
I've known the power that early reading has in the life of a child. I've written papers about the need for a child to have 1000 hours of reading experience under their belt by the time they reach kindergarten. I know that kids who have been read to have larger vocabularies, are more likely to enjoy reading as they grow up, and are on track for success in school and in life. This book has put all these things together in very practical application. It gives so many examples of why reading aloud to children is important, ways to put this practice into your life, books to read, and more.
The message of the book is this: start early in reading aloud to your child (even before they're born!), continue reading to them as they grow up (who doesn't enjoy being read to?), and enjoy the relationship you and your child build as you read books together.
This is the only book you need to read... until you start reading with your children!
3 comments:
Can I barrow it? (The sacrifice I am making for Lee's finance class is, not buying ANY books or movies until he grads...... oh it could be a long cold winter!)
Thanks girl! I needed a new book to inspire me!
Thanks for the great reminder! I am going to check out that book for sure! Maybe I should start logging everytime I read to Abbie and see what I add up to by the time she is 5...well...I don't really think I need to add one more thing to my list...so I am going to make a positive assumption, that I will make the 1000 mark with her! She is learning her letters now and is very excited to see them in the world around her. Yesterday she saw the Subway sign and starting going crazy for the letters! What a cutie!
So glad you blogged again. I was beginning to think you fell off the planet...keep them coming!
Hugs,
Colleen
Post a Comment