Saturday, June 13, 2009

My Friend Regina


My good friend, Regina, died this spring, on April 28. She was about 11 years old. It was somewhat unexpected, though she had been acting not quite up to snuff for about a week prior to passing on. My mom and I talked about maybe taking her to the vet over the weekend to see what they thought, but she didn't make it that long. We went out to feed her that morning, and she was gone. I was pretty distraught... I even called my principal to ask her to have someone cover for me for first track time, which she said would be no problem. My kids wrote me cute letters even (which I had a hard time reading through without crying!).

She was a great friend. Here are some memories:

  • Regina was a good help when you were mowing the lawn or weeding in the backyard. Always moving to where you were, and even if she fell asleep while you were working (as she did often), at least she was there right with you.
  • Regina loved her blankies and cushions. My mom made her some, and some where store bought. She only got to have them in the winter, and they'd be put in her dog house in the mornings, and by afternoon, they'd be out on the lawn because she loved them and slept on them all day.
  • Regina was "Most Improved" in her obedience class. That's not saying much, she was almost a drop out, but she (and I) did make it!
  • We got Regina at the Super Adoption event in May 2001. We noticed her because she got into a scuffle with her daughter, and when the person from her agency went in to resolve the issue, the daughter kept struggling, but Regina put her head in the lady's lap as if to say, "I didn't start it, she attacked me, didn't you see it?" Very cute and humble in her little way. We took her to the car and she jumped right in and sat with her head in my lap on the ride home.
  • It was so cute when you pull into the driveway and she would be so sound asleep that she stayed asleep until you got out of the car and talked to her!
  • Regina got out of the backyard a few times. Fortunately, she carried her phone number with her! My 'favorite' time that she got out, she ended up at the Chevron on 7200 South at 3:30 in the morning! They are open all night, and someone called and left us a message that our dog was there and come get her... so I got shoes on and went over. She was so happy to see me. It was just like, "Oh! There you are! I told them to call you to have you pick me up! I'm so glad you're here!" She hopped right into the car and we went home.
  • When it was especially cold in the winter, we'd have sleep-overs. We'd make space in the basement next to the couch, lay out her blanket, and she'd snuggle down and sleep the night. The first few times we did this several years ago, I had to sleep on the floor with her to keep her settled. Also, she'd wake up me up to go out... The last few years, though, not only did she let me sleep on the couch and not have to go out, she could sleep in!
I'll miss my good little girl!



This is a poem one of my co-workers and parent of a girl in my class gave to me. It's a tear-jerker - and I hope it's true!

Rainbow Bridge

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

6 comments:

The Edwards said...

Sad! I'm sorry Christine. No one can take that place, they love so unconditionally!

Rochelle Brunson said...

Thanks for sharing such fond memories. Regina sounds likeshe was a good friend.

Rachel Banks said...

That was a beautiful post. I'm so sorry for your loss.

RWarr said...

Thanks for this great post. It seems that Regina was a sweetie.

Holly E. Ferrin said...

Awww, such a good post about the Regina-girl. I think that the poem was perfect. Thanks for putting that up, sis.

Crystal Carroll said...

I'm sorry about you losing Regina. She sounds like she led a full and happy life.