Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Public Transportation - love it or leave it?


Ah, public transportation. For 3.5 years of my college career, it was the bane of my existence. I hated riding the bus. Hated it. Not so much hate on riding Trax, but it would be safe to say that more than a few unkind words were uttered when a train was barely missed. To me, no car equaled no freedom, a schedule set by someone else, and a heafty backpack to lug around campus all day. Don't even get me started about waiting... but since I am started... Waiting for buses that may come on time, may come late, or may have come early, which means you missed it. Waiting in the bitter cold and snow and rain. Waiting in the hot. Waiting for a ride home from the Trax station. Waiting to see if you'll have a seat or if you'll have to stand. Waiting, waiting, waiting.

I've never minded taking public transportation in other cities, mind you. Waiting for a train in a subway station in London (mind the gap!), Paris, Rome, Washington DC, or Boston is delightful. Just missed the train? Oh well. More time to check out the habits of people around me. Not like it's much of a wait for the next train anyway. 5-7 minutes tops. None of this 15-20 minute junk. Having to stand is not a problem - I'm on vacation anyhow, and not weary from working all day. Sitting/standing right next to someone with no sense of my personal space? Not a problem (mostly).

I've taken a few classes from UEN at the U in the past month, and have ridden Trax rather than taking my car. And you know what? I loved it. I read a book. I listened to my iPod. I did some crochet. I did some people-observing. I definitely followed the norms of morning commuters (Don't talk to anyone, but if you do, do not have an extended conversation. "Yes", "no", and "excuse me" are acceptable. That's about it.). Didn't have to worry about parking - yikes! Coming home, it's okay to be a little more interactive with fellow riders, but if you don't want that interaction, stick some ear buds in your ears and you'll be left alone. No one has to know if you're playing anything or not. :) Yes, while I did have to get up a little earlier in the mornings, and where being 30 seconds late out the door costs you 15 minutes, it was okay. Maybe it was the fact that I could read what I wanted (not a text book or review of my notes), or maybe it was because of where I was headed (I love UEN classes!). But it was great. Definitely loved it.

So. Public transportation. Love it? Or leave it?

1 comment:

Rachel Banks said...

I love the big city life style and I really love public transportation. We've been to Boston, New Orleans, and San Fransisco without ever renting a car. I have many memories. Love it.