I'm in Philadelphia for the week! Woo-hoo!
Back in February, folks from the Gilder Lehrman Institute (a history education organization) came to my district to talk about Lincoln and do some educational activities. They mentioned that they do these summer seminars, and the applications were due in a few days. I did not spend a ton of time on this application in answering their questions and such, and so was quite surprised to find out that I had been accepted. They sent the books to study, I booked the travel, and here I am.
The seminar is about Civil War reconstruction. I actually understood most of what was said at the lectures and discussions today, though have to admit that this is much more enriching for the teacher... I'm not sure that much of this at all will get trickled down to the students. We're staying in the dorms at the U of Penn, which make me appreciate my college living arrangement even more. Dorm food is okay, though a group of us ventured out around campus and got ourselves Philly Cheesesteaks - yum-o!
Back in February, folks from the Gilder Lehrman Institute (a history education organization) came to my district to talk about Lincoln and do some educational activities. They mentioned that they do these summer seminars, and the applications were due in a few days. I did not spend a ton of time on this application in answering their questions and such, and so was quite surprised to find out that I had been accepted. They sent the books to study, I booked the travel, and here I am.
3 comments:
Sounds so much fun! Reminds me of when learning was fun for me! I miss those days.
Sometimes I wish I was you. Right now, I'm listening to the girls fight over the TV. I'm totally ignoring them.
Crystal, it is fun! It helps, though, that there are no grades, and while we had (and continue to have) tons of reading, it isn't so bad.
Rachel, I'm pretty sure you're the only one who wishes that... I listened to all the ambulances and police cars siren past all night... :)
Post a Comment