My seminar is just about over. It's been quite the experience. I have learned a lot. I'm not sure that it is totally relevant to what and who I teach, but it definitely was good for me. The professor, Stephanie McCurry, is a historical expert on the Civil War story, from the southern perspective, with focus on gender issues and citizenship in the nation. Many of the things she lectured on and what we discussed strayed from the traditional story you get on the Civil War (the north's perspective - they won, so it's their story we hear), and gave me lots to think about. I will probably be thinking about it for a while, in fact. I doubt that much will get passed down to my students, because I think that at 10 years old, you need to know the traditional tale so that as they associate with others, there is a common knowledge. Also, I'm sure that there are things you learned about at a young age, then grew up or moved on to another class and learned a different perspective (or learned that what you thought you knew was right really isn't!)... you've got to have someone teach you the basics so you can blame them for not telling you more, right!?
You can only apply to come once every two summers (probably so you can recover... and forget your dorm-living experience), so you know of any programs/organizations that do something similar and you've had a good experience, I'd love to know so I can apply for next summer! If you are a teacher and are interested, applications are due mid-February, more info at http://www.gilderlehrman.org/teachers/seminars1.html
We ventured out for an official field trip today (unlike the one we took Wednesday during lunch...) to the Constitution Center. I really didn't know what it would be like, and so didn't have any real expectations, but it was really cool. I think that even kids would enjoy it as a field trip... wonder if there is money in the budget for that?! There is a whole 'mall' of places in old town Philly, not unlike Washington DC. The Liberty Bell and Independence Hall is quite close by, as are other places of historical significance. (I'll be back here next Thursday and Friday and so hopefully can go to some.)
No comments:
Post a Comment