I loved this book!
I started reading it last Thursday, when my students were doing some Super Bowl of Reading reading. I pulled out my book so that they could see me reading also (I don't usually read when they are - I have too many other things to do!). I really, totally meant to be a good teacher that day - but alas, it didn't happen. Once I got a few pages into this book, I was totally hooked. The kids and I ended up reading for about an hour - all the way from recess until lunch. Oh well. I'll be a good teacher another day. (The kids, by the way, didn't mind - they've been making good progress on their reading goals at home, without a lot of reading time at school, and think that I'm "awesome" because I "let" them read all that time. Hmmm...)
Amanda and Leo are best friends who share the same birthday, and who have combined birthday parties, up until their 11th, because of an overhead conversation on their 10th birthday. Because of an enchantment placed on their great grandparents, both Amanda and Leo end up having their 11th birthday over and over until they get it right and the enchantment's requirements have been met. It reminded me a lot of one of my and my family's favorite movies - Groundhog Day - and that's a good thing. It was cleverly written and a quick read - because you get sucked in. I found myself wondering what I'd do differently (or not) if I got stuck on a day and couldn't progress to the next day, and which day I'd want to live over, hopefully to improve the outcomes and attitudes of the events taking place on that day. I'm still undecided - I'll let you know when I figure it out.
Loved it! You will too!

1 comment:
Thanks for the post, I will add this to my 52 books! (Can I barrow it?)
Post a Comment