Yes, I'm ready.
Ready for summer.
I think that we should shorten the school year from 180 days to 170... that's when I really started being done with school this year. The kids have been a little trunky since spring break 5 weeks ago... and last week, everything seemed to come to a head, and I'd had it. So had they. But... we still have 3 more days to get along with each other. Well.
So I was thinking that I needed some reminders as to why I actually like teaching most of the first 170 days of school.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Last week, my students were writing their letters to next year's teachers to introduce themselves and to serve as a first impression writing piece for their new teacher. We brainstormed a few minutes about what should go in each paragraph of their letter... about themselves, what they liked about 5th grade, what they're looking forward to in 6th grade.
I was more than a little surprised to read how many students said something to the effect of "Miss Ferrin is a big reason why I liked 5th grade so much!" There are always a few kids who you know that's true for without them saying so, but to see it in writing was more than a little shocking, especially the kids who wrote it. Ah, shucks!
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Last Friday, we went on a field trip to Timpanogos Cave. That 1.5 mile hike is a killer - especially when you are an old-ish, out-of-shape person such as myself. There can be a lot of support found in 11-year-olds yelling encouraging words from on top of a mountain. "Hey, Miss Ferrin! Are you okay?!?! Do you want me to come down there and help you get up there?!?!"
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
My kids are really fun this year. There are, as always, a few stinkers, and a few parents I could really do without, but for the most part, this has been a good year. My kids have interesting things to share, tell funny stories and jokes, laugh at themselves and with one another, and are hard working most of the time. Each group is different, and I don't have a favorite - but this year has definitely been memorable.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
And while I do look forward to summer - a lot - the change that comes with the end of the year gives me a little anxiety. I trade in my 33 darlings now for new ones in the fall... (and, let's be honest, some of them I'm not so sad to lose, but others I will definitely miss) I am moving classrooms... (to a bigger room, which is good, but moving is still so stressful!) I'm losing a friend on my team... (only to a team down the hall, but still...) and have to get used to someone new...
2 comments:
I hope I'm not one of those parents that the teachers could do without. Its possible because I'm kind of overbearing I think.
You are most definitely not one of those parents I'm talking about! You are not a naughty-enabler, nor do you take your child's side of a story over the adult's side (within reason), and you don't allow your children to manipulate you. Those are the types I'm talking about! :)
Post a Comment