Saturday, May 5, 2012

The UC

I'm not a Utah County native.  I don't want to be an immigrant even.  I'm plenty happy being a daily in-and-outer.


I guess there are just some things that I just don't quite understand about the UC.


1.  A few weeks ago was the Hope of America 5th grade performance, the Freedom Festival kick-off event.  I drove down with my lovely team and ate dinner at Zupas.  Can we say "I'm-more-religiouser-than-you" any louder than long, silent, bowed heads in prayer in a restaurant?  Not just a little quick short bow of the head.  I'm talking about a few minutes worth of prayering.  In a public place.  With someone sitting across from her.  In a crowded restaurant.  Really?


2.  Shed hunting.  This came up in after-school conversation the other day.  Two people with master's degrees don't know what this is, the two people from Lehi UC did though.  Do you?  Better yet, if you don't, what image does it bring to mind?  And no, the Lehi-er didn't put bullets through any storage units in case you were wondering.


3.  Bad driving.  Maybe the problem is all the construction going on in the south UC, and by the time people drive to north UC they're still driving strangely.  Maybe.  Or maybe it's just an extension of Utah drivers as a whole.  Meh.


4.  BYU.  And okay, I'm a Utah girl, so everyone's obsession with the Y is not normal to me anyway.  But everyone on the BYU bandwagon?  All they're really doing is making life that much more exciting for Utah fans, with Utes thinking that their lives are in danger - especially in Provo.  Which reminds me - I forgot to switch my plates when I was driving around there last week... no harm done though - what a miracle.


5.  University Boulevard vs. University Parkway.  Really?


6.  Speaking of streets, I don't get the UC address system.  13 summers ago, my lovely little city decided they were going to finally re-address the city to match the rest of the county.  What a relief!  I really don't enjoy driving down a street in the UC and find that it's called something different at the other end.  Talk about confusing.  Everyone gives directions in the UC according to landmarks because street addresses are a lost cause.  If you can find the Purple Turtle, you can find anything.



I guess there are a few good things about the UC.  But only a few.

1.  JCW's.  Yum-o!
2.  Proud Utah fans baring their colors boldly.  And putting their lives in danger each time they do so.
3.  My great school.

Yeah, that's about it. :)



1 comment:

Rochelle Brunson said...

I've never been a big utah county fan either.