Friday, August 29, 2008

10 days down, 170 to go!

Not that I'm counting or anything!

I was really worried about making the change to 5th grade. It was pretty bad at the beginning of the summer (school dreams already?!). Coming back in August didn't help any. It is so overwhelming to come back anyway - let alone learn a new curriculum and get to know a new team (well, two-thirds of a new team anyway), and even being with kids of a new age and not knowing how they act and react to things and what they can handle - ahhhh!

But the first day of school was the best first day I have ever had! Granted, that hasn't been too many - but it really was the best day of the 4 previous first days. And the first week - definitely the best first week ever! And I am keeping up on my curriculum - but I am excited for the day when I am ahead a day or two or three. That'll be great! I also have 6 kids in class this year that I had as 3rd graders two years ago. I'm pretty sure that most of them were excited about that (hopefully no one cried!) - and I'm excited about them. I have a great class - 29 little darlings!

This past Wednesday - 8 days into school - we went on our first field trip! We hiked up the trail to go through the Timpanogos Caves! Wow - try herding 56 10-year-olds up a mountain and back in one piece! (well, 56 pieces) But we made it - 56 kids have nothing on 4 moms and 2 teachers, one of whom is Mr. Grimley! (I guess I did contribute... I made my presence known in not allowing kids to run down the mountain like they wanted to!)

And now the first week is over, and I have a lovely 3 day weekend to look forward to! Can't wait for the last 3 day weekend of the year - let's hear it for Memorial Day!

2 comments:

AJ said...

NO, you would never count...

Colleen, Mike, Abbie and Aimee said...

Christine...so great to get your email and a link to your blog. I am excited to keep tabs on you!

That is awesome that 5th grade is so good...I ALMOST miss teaching...but not quite! I am enjoying being with my sweet baby! I wouldn't trade my teaching experience...but I am in NO hurry to get back to it!

Hope you enjoyed your long weekend! I will be counting down with you...only 170 days...and counting!

Hugs,
Colleen