
I love the first full week of August - because it's time for Midvale Days! What a great tradition we've got going...
Monday was our block party. We had a good dinner and enjoyed talking with neighbors. We mostly talked about Stephenie Meyer and Breaking Dawn. What a great conversation! It could have gone on and on, but some people had to get home to finish reading it!
Thursday was Bingo. We haven't won in years! This year, however, was our lucky year (7 times a charm?) and JoAnne won the B prize! Hooray hooray! I, personally, go for the hamburgers (yum), but winning is fun too - as is sitting next to a winner! Usually for the last game, we play blackout. This year, they changed things up, and made it so the last person to cover a square was the winner. After a night of hardly any luck (really, I had a bum card), I thought that surely, this must be my game! And what happened? Oh, I had N-34 just like half the people playing! Maybe next year... or 7 years...
Saturday was the parade. Holly had to work, so JoAnne and I started walking down the street to sit at the school to watch. Mom drove up and gave us a ride, and the three of us had a great parade. I love the parade - probably because I know half the people and have heard of the other half. It's been traditional the past few years to sit in the same place, just east of Midvale Elementary, in front of the Jordan Resource Center, on the grass in the shade. It's been the habit of the Opiekens family to sit in front of us - Pam Opiekens (new last name!) and I went to junior high together, and it's been fun seeing her family grow up - once a year at the parade!
After the parade, we headed over to the park to eat lunch and look at the booths. There was a good variety of eating options, as well as shopping. Mom got me an orange necklace to wear with my Deerfield spirit shirt, and Holly got quite a few things for not even being there!
Ryan Shupe was the headliner for the evening performance! Gotta love a Ryan Shupe & the Rubber Band concert! I love how they are different every year. You can listen to the cd and know all the songs - but live, they are so much fun! I really think they need to do a live recording on their next cd of 'Devil went Down to Georgia' - the problem is that it changes every time they perform! What could be better than 20 versions of that song on one cd?
Rain threatened to come during the concert, but we went prepared, but didn't get too wet - most of the storm during the concert went south. The fireworks were great, as always. For a local show, really, they are pretty good. The rain started pouring down about half way through the show. Good thing we still had the umbrella! (also a good thing Holly and I lived half our summer being wet!) The fireworks continued on, and, too soon, the show was over, and so was Midvale Days.
What a great tradition!
No comments:
Post a Comment