Monday, September 22, 2008

Radio Celebrity

One of my morning commute (guilty?) pleasures is listening to the Chunga show on 101.9 The End. They started a new segment a few weeks ago - Battle of the Bad Seventies Bands. They play two songs, and you vote... no one really knows if you're voting for the one you like or the one you don't, but the winner gets played the next day along with a challenger, so I guess you're ultimately voting for the one you want to hear the next morning. They've had some pretty bad songs, and interesting winners... It started with a really bad country song - I'm not even sure of the name, but the lyrics were something like "I like... puppies in the spring... flowers in the yard... and onions..." Pretty bad. Other infamous winners have been Sammy Davis Jr.'s "Candy Man", "Convoy", and "Kung Foo Fighting". (Among the losers is "Muskrat Love"!) The current champ is "The Devil went down to Georgia".

I've been dropping off Holly in AF the past little bit (maybe because she wants to hear the Battle? Hmmm...). She's tried calling to vote a few mornings, but hasn't been able to get in... until this morning! She got in on-air to vote for "Devil"! (The contender was a Kenny Rogers' song... no contest at all!)

Here's how her on-air time went:
Ringing... ringing... ringing (had to wait for them to start taking callers)
Chunga: "Hello, 101-9 The End. Who's this?"
Holly: "This is Holly!"
Chunga: "What's your vote, Holly?"
Holly: "Devil went down to Georgia!"
Chunga: "Ok, thanks."
Holly: "Thank you!"

My part in all this... when she started talking to Chunga, I turned down the radio so that she wouldn't be one of those people who they have to say "Turn down your radio!" to. A very important job! Ta-da!


No comments: