Saturday, March 12, 2011

Student

Student.

I had known for a while that I'd go back to school to get my Master's.  I didn't think it'd be so soon after leaving with my BS degree.  I applied to the U after going to an interview that I didn't think went so well... and I thought that into August, it would be good to have a back-up plan.  School was it.  It took me about 30 minutes to apply to the U as a grad student conditionally, and got in officially after my first semester.  My job being a part-time contract computer specialist really was an ideal way to start and get into grad school - much less of my life was devoted to teaching than currently is, which helped me get a lot of homework done.

I decided to go the literacy route, and got my reading endorsement along the way.  With my few classes that I could choose, I took the technology endorsement classes, figuring that would be a good fit with my computer teaching.  I had some really good professors along the way, and a few marginal ones.  I read a lot, studied a lot, did a few group projects, and wrote a ton of papers.  I went the comprehensive exam route at the end, which meant that I had 10 days to write 3 10+ page papers.  I took a week off school to get this accomplished, which helped a ton... I really do write best late at night and early into the morning.  I passed (whew!), and emailed in my last paper of my last class 5 minutes before it was due.  Sigh.  And - I'm done.  No more homework, assigned research reading, outlines, summaries, research papers, or group projects.  For now...

No comments: