Teacher.
After many, many interviews, late into August, I finally got hired. It was not my expected job - a computer specialist at a .65 time contract. But, a job is a job, and I took it gladly. I often think that it's because of Dad that I got my job. Alpine District is an Apple district, and, well, I had exclusive use of Macs growing up, thanks to Dad.
It was a great job, and there are many days when I still miss it. :) I liked getting to see and know all the kids in the school. I liked being the teacher that didn't know (as the kids thought) who was naughty or who was and wasn't the smartest in the class. It was fun to be the 'fun' teacher in the school - most of the kids could not wait for their once-weekly computer dose.
After the first part-time year, my contract was extended to be full time for the second year. After that year, my school was going to an extended-day schedule, and so the specialist jobs would be back to part time. I really wanted to be full time, so I did interview at another school, but was able to stay at good old Deerfield, and took a position in the 3rd grade.
Third grade was a good place to be. I did my student teaching in 3rd grade, and I loved it. I enjoyed that age of kid when those classes came to computers. I liked the 3rd grade team and got along with them pretty well. My classes were so cute - 24 the first year, 27 the second year. I like how the kids were just getting used to working on their own, and were anxious to do things themselves. They are still pretty cute at that age, too, and are ready to let you know how much they love you.
After two years there, I moved to the 5th grade, mostly, I think, because I would be a good fit with their eMints technology grant. I have loved the 5th grade team - we've had a few new members over the three years I've been there, but is always fun and uplifting. (Some days the best part is lunch!) My classes have always kept me hopping - 32 students my first year, 33 the next, and 37 this year (36 now). I had several kids in 5th grade that I also taught in 3rd grade, and so that was fun to get to have them again. I'm starting to get siblings of kids that I had either in 3rd or 5th, and that is a fun connection to have as well.
I enjoy teaching for many reasons: I enjoy being with kids, and am at ease talking to them and teaching them (not so much with adults). Kids are so funny! They have great little personalities, and, while I have just a small part in how they are going to turn out, I like to think that I'm making a positive difference in their lives. I like preparing lessons and activities for them to learn from. I even like going to professional development workshops to learn more about being a better teacher. I like that each day is different, but that I have control (mostly) over how the day goes.
Some things that I don't like about teaching: Grading... it never ends. Never. I'm only ever caught up in May. I also don't like having to deal with 5th grade drama - bullying, love triangles, discipline issues. There are times when I've been frustrated with other adults in the building, but for the most part, I enjoy the camaraderie of the teachers in my building. There are definitely ways that the profession can improve - funding, testing, legislative concerns, and other things that don't have to do with kids and teaching them - but overall, it is a good profession and I'm glad and grateful to be a part of it.
Seven years in, and I think that I finally know what I'm doing. Most of the time. Some days, anyway. At least only a few kids go home crying, on any given day. (The teacher's tears, however, are another story...!)
1 comment:
You sound like a fun teacher! 36 students!!! That sounds like a crazy amount to me, you deserve a raise!!
Post a Comment