I started classes at the U as soon as I was done with my undergraduate degree in Elementary Ed. I applied almost on a whim, and when my life finally settled, I was glad that I had
that whim. I ended up being a computer teacher at an elementary school in Utah county with a part time contract. That left me some time to be able to do homework, reading, and take classes. The next year, I taught computers full time, and continued on with classes. That was a little more difficult, as I didn't have quite as much time. However, there's not a lot of school work to do at home, just some planning and a little prepping. I didn't get too stressed out - most things worked.My last year in grad school, though, was also my first year teaching 3rd grade. I am so glad that I had so many of my classes out of the way by this point! I did most of my reading at home during the week and some weekends, and what I didn't get done... well, that's what Bill Nye is for.
I took my comprehensive exam in 10 days in the middle of March. I took off 5 days from school to be able to do it. Unfortunately, I do my best writing in the middle of the night and under tight pressure. Fortunately, I knew that in advance, and so planned on it. I finished on time with my 3 papers (39 pages total, oh yeah!), and got them turned in - even my paper copy - before the deadline. It was a rough week and a half, but I'm glad I went with the comp option instead of the thesis option - 10 days of severe pain and torture was better to me than a year of slowly drawn out pain and torture.

I wrote and submitted my last paper - ever - 5 minutes before it was due. Early for me! I spent the week before graduation trying to figure out how to put on that hood. I guess that's the final test, to see if you're smarter than your graduation garb!
Graduation was May 4, 2007. Mom and I went to the Huntsman Center for the campus-wide commencement ceremony. Grad students got to sit in the coveted, cushioned floor seating! I ended up sitting by a guy that I knew in middle school. I had only ever seen him once on campus before, when we were both doing our undergrad, but it was kind of fun to be with someone with that kind of way-back, past connection. Mom and I took pictures and went to the bookstore before going home to pick up Dad, JoAnne, and Holly (from school) for the college ceremony.
It started raining as we pulled up to Kingsbury Hall - just wonderful, since the previous college wasn't done yet! Soaked or not, the ceremony went on. Holly and JoAnne were able to get seats in the back of the balcony, but Dad and Mom were out in the lobby. Mom came into the hall when I walked across, and Dad saw me from the TV outside, thanks to my red-longer-than-the-gown skirt I was wearing. The rain cleared up afterward, so we took a few more pictures.
A graduate, at last! I am glad for the experience and for what I learned and practice now as a result of what I learned. But I am also glad that door has shut for a while.
Am I going back? I won't rule it out as an option. But it will definitely be a nice, long while before I do!
No comments:
Post a Comment