Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Inconvenient Commute #1

What a change a week brings in the weather in Utah! Last week the weather was beautiful! I had recess duty and was glad to be out in the sun and warmth and play Speed with the kids (and beat 'em at their own game!). Today was a different story...
I heard it might snow this morning in time for the commute, so we were all up early. Holly and I left the house at 6:30! I took Holly to Trax, and then made my way to the freeway. The freeway wasn't so bad... but it was snowing more as I got further south than it had been snowing in Midvale. The point of the mountain was awful... but my trusty car got over fine. Lots of people, going slow, which is good... but does not work well when you have to get on down the road!
It was about the point of the mountain that I realized that I probably should have gotten gas last night... (though if it hadn't been snowing I probably could have made it). It was also around this time that I realized I forgot my purse at home in the rush to get out. So I scrounged around in my ashtray and found enough money to make it worth my time and effort to stop at the Lehi Mav for gas. Properly fueled, I made my way east on the Highland Highway. Way worse than I-15! More people, going slow, and no recent plowings...

The worst part was the block before turning onto 4800 West. Lots of high school traffic - again, good that everyone is cautious and going slow, but not when we all need to get to school! I thought about calling Ryan about then to watch my kids in case I didn't make it on time to school, and remembered that I had forgotten all about faculty meeting! Urg. It's not like I didn't leave with plenty of time to get to school!

I finally arrived at school, 10 minutes before the kids got there! I heard that I didn't miss anything at faculty meeting (then why have one, people?), and quickly got my desk recovered from the sub yesterday and got things ready for the morning.

Whew! Made it. Wishfully, this will be the first and only 'inconvenient commute' of the season... but I'm not going to hold my breath.

2 comments:

Colleen, Mike, Abbie and Aimee said...

I don't miss those days...although it was fun with Linda!

Have fun and be safe!

Colleen

Rachel Banks said...

That makes me so happy I work so close to my house. Bummer for you!!!